The three-storey Chelmsford Hotel was built by George Charlton at a cost of £6,700 in 1914. He bought property at the corner of Cessnock and Victoria Streets, Kurri Kurri, for £800. Charlton opened the pub for business in January 1915, and he paid an annual licensing fee of £55.
The Chelmsford was named after a Governor of NSW Lord Chelmsford from approx 1914.
Arthur Freeman can be credited with being the first person charged for drunkeness within the Chelmsford’s bar. Maybe he deserves a plaque on the wall. He appeared in the Kurri Kurri Police Court charged with being drunk and disorderly, and was fined £1, or seven days behind bars. To top it off, he was also charged with having made use of indecent language, and copped a £2 fine, or seven days in the lock-up.
Shortly after the pub’s completion, Charlton sold the pub to Tooheys Brewery. He remained as host for six years, selling the business to Clywdd Wilson in 1921. The landmark pub continues to dominates the Kurri Kurri township’s streetscape.Content Sourced from (timegents.com)